Gymnastics Western Australia
Gymnastics Western Australia Policy Statement Privacy
Gymnastics Western Australia is committed to providing the highest levels of membership service. This includes protecting member’s privacy. We will be bound by the new sections of the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, which sets out a number of principles concerning the protection of individual’s personal information.
The aim of these new laws is to ensure that organisations handle personal information responsibly and provide a consistent approach to its collection, use, disclosure, access and protection. These new laws also give the individual new rights such as access to their personal information and the ability to correct it, if needed.
This Privacy Statement contains the following important information the Privacy Act requires us to communicate to all of our members, regarding the use of personal information:
- What is personal information?
- How we collect personal information
- How we use personal information
- When we disclose personal information
- Storage and security of personal information
- Accuracy of personal information
- Access to personal information
This Privacy Statement was created in April 2002. Gymnastics Western Australia will review its Privacy Statement from time to time with the aim of improving it.
A. What is personal information?
Personal information is information about an individual who can be identified, or whose identity could be reasonably ascertained, from the information.
B. How we collect personal information
To deliver and enhance the services offered by Gymnastics Western Australia, certain personal information is collected. Gymnastics Western Australia collects personal information from members that this is volunteered when they:
- Register to become an affiliated club
- Register to become a club member (ie: athlete, volunteer, administrator, official of an Affiliate Club member)
- Register to become a technical member
- Enter a Gymnastics event or participation program
- Participate in a Gymnastics course or workshop
- Purchase merchandise from us
- Request information from us
- Provide information to one of our staff
- Participated in one of our surveys
C. How we use personal information
We will only collect information that is necessary for us to carry out our primary purpose of providing services relating to: membership, education, events and merchandise. Personal information may be used in order to:
- Provide the services required
- Internal accounting and administration
- Regulatory reporting and compliance
- Helping us to identify and inform members about other products or services that may be of benefit.
If we send members any information about services or products they do not require, or they do not want us to disclose personal information to any other organisation (including related organisations) they can advise us accordingly by writing to our Association’s office. If they do not advise us otherwise, they confirm agreement on their own behalf and/or on behalf of others they represent.
If they choose not to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide them with the services required, or the level of service on which we pride ourselves. This includes the provision of membership benefits such as Insurance cover.
D. When we disclose personal information
We disclose personal information to other organisations that we believe is necessary to assist in providing our services. The organisations to which we disclose information include:
- Outsourced service providers who manage the services we provide to
- Gymnastics Australia
- Our professional advisors, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law
- We limit the use and disclosure of any personal information provided by us to such organisations for the specific purpose for which we supplied it.
When members provide us with personal information about other individuals, we rely on them to have made these individuals aware that they will or may provide their information to us, the purposes we use it for, the types of third parties we disclose it to and how they can access it. This is extremely important for Club owners providing the personal information of their members
It should also be noted that the contact details provided by an Affiliate Club member on affiliation will also be disclosed when we believe it is necessary to assist in providing our services. This may include disclose to the following:-
- Other Affiliate Club members
- Club membership enquires from the public
- Other organisations for matters specifically related to Gymnastics
E. Storage and security of personal information
Gymnastics Western Australia stores personal information on a computer database. Member’s personal information may be held in both paper file and computer file form. We have implemented measures of a reasonable nature to ensure that all personal information about members is securely stored from misuse, loss and unauthorised handling.
F. Accuracy of personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that whenever we collect, use or disclose personal information that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
G. Access to personal information
Members have a right to access their personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If a member would like to do so, they can gain access to their personal information by contacting or by writing to Gymnastics Western Australia’s office. Alternatively, they may also advise us at any time about possible breaches of privacy, or inaccurate, incomplete personal information, that may have changed.