November, two thousand and nineteen marks the time to recognise and celebrate Gymnastics WA’s longest standing staff member, Sally Cruttwell who recently reached an outstanding milestone of 20 years with the organisation.
To put this phenomenal milestone into perspective, here are a few things that occurred in the year of 1999:
- John Howard was the Prime Minister of Australia
- Average house price for Perth was $147,500
- Top single in Australia was “Mambo No. 5” by Lou Bega
- Top film in Australia was Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace
- The last ever episode of ‘Hey Hey It’s Saturday’ goes to air
- Tony Lockett becomes the greatest goal scorer in VFL/AFL history
- The world got by with no social media…GASP
- First Blackberry mobile phone was released
Sally began her journey with Gymnastics WA as a Bookkeeper in November 1999, under the director of Executive Director Gratton Wilson and President Bob Biltoft. At the period of time when Sally joined the organisation, Gymnastics WA was based at the Len Fletcher Pavilion, with only a small handful of staff managing Gymnastics in Western Australia. Since then, Sally’s role has expanded and has taken on numerous titles such as Finance Officer from 2001, Office and Finance Manager in 2006 and from 2009 to current, Sally is Gymnastics WA’s Operations Manager.
During Sally’s employment with Gymnastics WA, the organisation has seen significant growth and development. During her time with the Association, some (but definitely not all) key accomplishments include:
- Receiving a Gymnastics WA Service Award in 2008
- Playing an integral role in the relocation to the State Gymnastics Centre, Leederville
- Managed the transition of Gymnastics WA financial management from MYOB to Xero
- Seen a significant growth in membership, currently sitting at over 17,600 members
- Managed a substantial number of staff members within the Operations team
- Gymnastics WA is in a positive financial position under Sally’s management
- Supervised the installation and delivery of the new Gymnova equipment at the State Gymnastics Centre in April 2015
- Introduction of Square in 2018, allowing card payments at Gymnastics WA events
The Gymnastics WA Board, together with staff, would like to thank and congratulate Sally for her extensive service and dedication to the Association. It is very rare for an organisation to employ someone for over 20 years, which is a testament to her positive work ethic and passion for the role.